Senior Research Fellow - Qualitative
Posted on May 25, 2023
Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB) is inviting applications from Bangladeshi nationals for the position of Senior Research Fellow (Qualitative), to be recruited for its new project titled, Participatory Action against Corruption: Towards Transparency and Accountability (PACTA) (January 2022 to December 2026). Upon joining, the incumbent will be regarded as a member of the team for TIB’s core project and will remain reportable to the Director - Research and Policy.
Responsibilities• Contribute to designing strategies and protocols for the Research and Policy (R&P) division;
• Lead the assessment and prioritization of qualitative research needs and communicate with executive management;
• Contribute to developing the Annual Operations Plan (AOP) of the R&P division and play a key role in its timely and efficient implementation;
• Play a key role research concepts, methodologies, tools, techniques and processes of data collection for Divisional researches;
• Lead qualitative studies from the design stage to implementation (designing tools, planning field operations, training field surveyors/staff , supervising /coordinating data collection, analyzing data, and report writing);
• Design qualitative studies for deeper analysis of corruption and mal-governance issues and for feeding into the large scale quantitative analysis extracted from community monitoring, official database of the government and different national and international research and development agencies;
• Contribute to quantitative studies with a view to ensuring inclusion of qualitative insights;
• Guide/supervise the Data Analysts/Research Associates in visualizing corruption and mal-governance related findings by using qualitative data visualization tools;
• Conduct research independently, produce research reports, make public presentations, and participate/represent the organisation in national and international policy dialogues, conferences and fora, as and when needed;
• Supervise and guide the work of researchers/research teams; Provide substantive and technical feedback in concrete terms on draft research reports prepared by researchers; provide guidance in preparing policy papers/briefs and designing policy advocacy strategies on the basis of research findings;
• Supervise and guide Interns and volunteers in transcriptions and analysis of interviews and focus group findings; guide and train them in the analysis of data for purposes of policy development and guide and train them in the development of policy briefs and recommendations;
• Contribute to various divisional activities like preparing reports (e.g. Divisional part of the donor report, monitoring/MIS report, responses to government or other stakeholders reactions to organizational research, etc.), and actively participate in team sharing of research findings, in-house research presentations, etc.;
• Report to and liaise with the Director, R&P in ensuring of the implementation of AOP/assignments of assigned teams;
• Mentor, counsel, and motivate full time and part time research personnel as and when needed;
• Although the position is Dhaka-based, the selected candidate must be prepared to undertake research-related field visits as and when necessary;
• Perform any other relevant tasks as assigned by the organisation.
Special InstructionPlease read the full advertisement carefully before apply.
Academic Qualification• Applicants having a Masters with honours at Bachelor’s level preferably from a relevant subject (Social Science subjects like Economics, Sociology, Public Administration, International Relations, Development Studies etc.) with minimum 10 (ten) years of relevant work experience, of which at least 7 (seven) years in a managerial /research fellow position will be considered for this position;
• Candidates with 3rd Division or CGPA less than 2.5 on a scale of 4, or 3 on a scale of 5, at any level of their education need not apply;
Other Qualification• Proven record of accomplishment as a skilled researcher that includes designing and implementing qualitative research is the most essential prerequisite for this position.
• Knowledge/skills on qualitative tools and methods like case studies, participatory observation, FGD/GD/KI, etc. are required. Also, experience in qualitative data analysis by Atlas.ti, Nvivo etc., Geospatial data analysis by ArcGIS , data visualization software like Tableau etc., will be considered as added advantage;
• Experience of research on national integrity institutions (NIS), diagnostic studies, and household surveys would be an added advantage. Applicants should have a good understanding of governance, corruption and development related issues in Bangladesh;
• Integrity, team building and attaching high value to professionalism are some of the core attributes the candidate needs to possess;
• Excellent communication skill, written and oral, both in Bangla and English is necessary;
• Sound computer skills, good word processing skills in both Bangla and English, good command on the use of MS Word, PowerPoint, etc.;
• Leadership, supervisory, multi-tasking, communication, staff management and problem solving skills and capacity;
Area of Experience
See details in Additional Requirement
Additional RequirementExperience in an anti-corruption organization will be an added advantage.
Additional salary InfoGrade: 04, Step: 01, Gross monthly salary: 163,224.00 plus other benefits as per relevant rules of TIB. Income tax is payable by TIB staff, deductible at source.
Other BenefitsAnnual performance-based increment, Cost of living adjustment, Contributory provident fund, Gratuity, Festival allowance and Insurance etc.
- Total Vacancy
- Job Type
- Job Level
- Work Place
- Job Circular
- 10 Jun 2023
- Full time
- 10 years
TIB follows an equal opportunity policy and actively encourages diversity welcoming applications from all especially women, ethnic, religious and other minorities and people with disability. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview. Any attempt at persuasion is treated as disqualification. If an applicant has an immediate family member in any capacity at TIB, s/he must proactively and clearly disclose it. Such candidates can be employed in TIB only by a special approval of the Board of Trustees, even if duly qualified in the competitive selection process.
TIB strictly observes a policy of zero tolerance to corruption and sexual abuse/harassment and all employees are committed to observe TIB’s Code of Ethics.