Senior Research Fellow, Climate Finance Governance (CFG)
Posted on January 4, 2021
Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB) is inviting applications from Bangladeshi Nationals for the position of Senior Research Fellow (CFG), to be recruited initially for the period up to December 2021, and subsequently for additional five years subject to due completion of the necessary approval processes. Upon joining, the incumbent will be regarded as a member of the team for TIB’s core project, BIBEC (Building Integrity Blocks for Effective Change), and from January 2022 for PACTA (Participatory Action against Corruption: Towards Transparency and Accountability), the new core project, and will remain reportable to the Director (Research and Policy Division).
Responsibilities• Contribute to designing strategies and protocols for the Research and Policy (R&P) division;
• Lead the assessment and prioritization of quantitative research needs and communicate to with the Executive Management;
• Contribute to developing the Annual Operational Plan (AOP) of the R&P division and play a key role in its timely and efficient implementation;
• Play a key role in developing research concepts, methodologies, tools, techniques and processes of data collection for Divisional researches;
• Lead large scale quantitative surveys starting from the design stage to implementation (designing survey tools, planning field operations, training field surveyors/staff, supervising /coordinating data collection, analyzing data, and report writing);
• Play a key role in designing plan/s for analyzing large scale quantitative data extracted from community monitoring, official database of the government and different national and international research and development agencies;
• Guide/supervise the Data Analysts/Research Associates in conducting analysis based on big data and to visualize corruption and mal-governance by using quantitative data visualization tools;
• Conduct research independently, produce research reports, make public presentations, and participate/represent the organisation in national and international policy dialogues, conferences and fora, as and when needed;
• Supervise and guide the work of researchers/research teams; Provide substantive and technical feedback in concrete terms on draft research reports prepared by researchers; provide guidance in preparing policy papers/briefs and designing policy advocacy strategies on the basis of research findings;
• Supervise and guide Interns and volunteers in transcriptions and analysis of interviews and focus group findings; guide and train them in the analysis of data for purposes of policy development and guide and train them in the development of policy briefs and recommendations.
• Contribute to various divisional activities like preparing reports (e.g. R&P part of donor reports, monitoring/MIS report, responses to the government or other stakeholder reactions to organisational research, etc.) and actively participate in team sharing of research findings, in-house research presentations etc.
• Report to and liaise with the Director, R&P in ensuring the implementation of AOP/assignments of assigned teams;
• Mentor, counsel, and motivate full time and part-time research personnel as and when needed;
• Although the position is Dhaka-based, the selected candidate must be prepared to undertake research-related field visits as and when necessary;
• Perform any other relevant tasks as assigned by the organisation.
Academic Qualification• Masters with Honours at Bachelor’s level preferably in a relevant subject (Social Science subjects like Economics, Sociology, Public Administration, International Relations, Development Studies etc., Geography and Environment, and Statistics etc.) with a minimum of 10 (ten) years of relevant work experience, of which at least 7 (seven) years in as a managerial/research fellow or higher capacity and at least 5 (five) years in the environment and climate finance governance
• Candidates with 3rd Division or CGPA less than 2.5 on a scale of 4, or 3 on a scale of 5, at any level of their education need not apply; Competencies and skills required for conducting both quantitative and qualitative research. Proven record of accomplishment as a skilled researcher that includes the experience of implementing and designing both large-scale quantitative surveys, analyzing quantitative data, and report writing as well as undertaking in-depth qualitative studies is necessary;
Other Qualification• Good command on data management and data analysis by using computer software and programming language, especially Access, SPSS, STATA/R etc., are essential; Experience in the large-scale survey-based data collection, use of open source application /online data collection tools like KoBo toolbox, Google format etc., will be preferred;
• Proven record of accomplishment as a skilled researcher that includes designing and implementing qualitative research is the most essential prerequisite for this position.
• Knowledge/skills on qualitative tools and methods like case studies, participatory observation, FGD/GD/KI, etc. are required. Also, experience in qualitative data analysis by Atlas.ti, Nvivo etc., Geospatial data analysis by ArcGIS, data visualization software like Tableau etc., will be considered as an added advantage;
• Good command on data management and data analysis by using computer software, especially Access, SPSS, STATA etc., are essential;
• Experience of research on national integrity institutions (NIS), diagnostic studies, and household surveys would be an added advantage. Applicants should have a good understanding of governance, corruption and development related issues in Bangladesh.
• Integrity, team building and attaching a high value to professionalism are some of the core attributes the candidate needs to possess;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, in both Bangla and English and teamwork & leadership qualities;
• Sound computer skills, for quantitative data processing and analysis as well as good word processing skills in both Bangla and English, good command on the use of MS Word, PowerPoint, etc.;
• Leadership, supervisory, multi-tasking, communication, staff management and problem solving skills and capacity.
Area of ExperienceReport writing, Independent research, Research supervision, Train supervise and manage staff, Public Presentation, Policy Advocacy, Governance corruption and development issues, Data management and analysis, Designing and implementing qualitative research, Environment and climate finance governance research, Quantitative and qualitative research techniques
MS Access, Leadership team building and professionalism, Multi-tasking and problem solving capacity, Excellent written and spoken Bangla and English, Use of MS Word Power Point, Qualitative tools and methods, Case studies participatory observation FGD/GD/KI, Sound computer skills for quantitative data processing and analysis
Additional Requirement• Experience in an anti-corruption organization will be an added advantage.
Additional salary InfoLevel – L 2, Gross Salary – 1,45,000.00 per month plus other benefits as per relevant rules of TIB. Income tax is payable by TIB staff, deductible at source.
Other BenefitsAnnual performance-based increment, Cost of living adjustment, Contributory provident fund, Gratuity, Festival allowance and Insurance etc.
- Total Vacancy
- Job Type
- Job Level
- Work Place
- Job Circular
- 18 Jan 2021
- Full time
- 10 years
TIB follows an equal opportunity policy and actively encourages diversity welcoming applications from all especially women, ethnic, religious and other minorities and people with disability. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview. Any attempt at persuasion is treated as disqualification. If an applicant has an immediate family member in any capacity at TIB, s/he must proactively and clearly disclose it. Such candidates can be employed in TIB only by a special approval of the Board of Trustees, even if duly qualified in the competitive selection process.
TIB strictly observes a policy of zero tolerance to corruption and sexual abuse/harassment and all employees are committed to observe TIB’s Code of Ethics.